Friday, September 26, 2008

The hospital is my new home indefinitely

Well...I took another brief trip to triage on Monday for contractions that weren't bad, but were frequent enough for the doc to tell me to have my cervix checked. Luckily (according to the nurse), my cervix was still closed. In fact, she told me to talk to the doc about possibly having my bed rest order lifted. What??? Is that possible? Rod and I were optimistic, hoping I could possibly go back to work on desk duty at least part time to help out financially. I was told to follow up with the doc on Wed.

So on Wednesday I go in for my regularly scheduled follow up appointment. Things are going well. Only 1-2 contractions an hour this day, which is normal. The doc went ahead and checked my cervix since I had been at labor and delivery on Monday. Low and behold my cervix is 3 cm dilated and 100% effaced. AND, the doc felt something in my cervix. SO, I was rushed over to have an ultrasound where we found my membranes were "bulging." The doc sent me straight to the hospital to be admitted.

All of this happened on Rod's first full day of his new second job. Luckily I caught him on his lunch break, and he was waiting in my L&D room for me when I arrived.

The next 24 hours were MISERABLE as I was scared to death they were going to come way too early (and I'm still scared). I was 29w6d on Wed when I was admitted (am 30w1d today). They hooked me up to all kinds of machines and started a drip of medicine called magnesium sulfate which is AWFUL STUFF. I couldn't eat for 24 hours (ummm...do they know I'm pregnant)???? But, the nasty stuff was worth it because it stopped the contractions. They only checked my cervix one more time, and there was no change so I was able to come to the ante partum unit at the hospital with the other bed rest moms. Evidently there are several twin moms on bed rest here and a triplet mom too! I no longer have a catheter (sp?), so I can get up to go to the bathroom and I can even take a 5 minute shower all by myself. Woop Woop!

It sounds like I will be here until I deliver which could be in an hour, or could be in a couple of weeks. Obviously we're hoping they bake for another couple of weeks. It sounds like my next mini goal is to make it to 32 weeks. The docs said it's possible, it's now just a waiting game. Keep your fingers crossed that my uterus and the boys cooperate. I guess they must just be anxious to meet their mom and dad!!

P.S. The doc said she saw a bunch of hair on Madden on the ultrasound. They look so handsome already!!!

2 comments:

ChristinePL said...

I am sending prayers and positive thoughts your way hoping the babies will continue to "bake" a little longer.

Christine
(crazyinguad ivillage)

The Slacker Mom said...

Sending good cooperation vibes!
-nirestar