Tuesday, July 29, 2008

17p

So, I was digging around online, trying to find information on the progesterone that my doctor is having me take by weekly injection (beginning today). Apparently, it is vastly different from the progesterone that is used in early pregnancy to prevent miscarriage due to low progesterone. And there are a LOT of studies being done on this drug to see how effective it is, if it might be useful during first pregnancies, etc. Here's what I know now. Alpha-hydroxy- progesterone caproate (17P for short), can help prevent cervical changes (specifically cervical shortening, also known as effacing, which is typically the step before dilation) when given weekly starting between 16 and 20 weeks gestation (I didn't start until today at 21w5d but who's counting). The drug is given through an injection (I chose arm over rear end-OUCH). P17 also helps to relax the uterine muscles, which is also a factor in preterm labor. There was a study done by the NIH where women with previous preterm births got weekly injections and the risk was decreased by 35% (not bad!). I've also read some research that indicates it may not be helpful in a multiple pregnancy. Hmmmm...I'll have to see if I can find out why. Evidently my doctor must think it could, so I'll have to find out the specifics.

No comments: